News Flash

City Source Edmond - News Releases & Stories

Posted on: August 17, 2022

SPOTLIGHT: Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) project focused on helping mobility in Edmond

ITS-1If you see a malfunctioning traffic light in Edmond and wonder if anyone knows about it … chances are, they do.

And, right now, work is being done to put that knowledge into action.

The City of Edmond’s Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) project work began in 2016 with the goal of upgrading intersection signal lights throughout the city. Installed in phases, it will eventually enhance the traffic signal technology at more than 100 intersections and all school zones in the city.

“Before this began, we were operating under the limits of old technology,” said Tom Minnick, traffic planner for the City of Edmond. “We are committed to modernizing our systems and bringing them up to federal standards.”

The improvements on these intersection signal lights will comply with the National Transportation Communication for Intelligent Transportation System Protocol (NTCIP) standards. These intersections will connect to the Traffic Management Center via fiber optics and a wireless communication network installed under Phase I of the project.

“The goal is to use this technology to make traveling through Edmond and the intersections more efficient and safer,” Minnick said. “This technology will help us reduce delays and congestion. For example, if there is an accident, and we see it on the monitor feeds, we can use this system to modify the signals based on conditions. That can help with traffic flow and also help make conditions safer for public safety responders.”

Work on the project is being done in phases to help lessen the impact on traffic flow. Phase I and Phase II are complete. Phase III of the project began in early May, upgrading traffic signal light components at 22 intersections along the 15th Street corridor from Santa Fe Avenue to I-35. Other locations include the Kelly Avenue corridor from 33rd Street to Danforth Road and the Santa Fe Avenue corridor from 15th Street to Danforth Road.

Work in Phase III alone consists of installing 14 miles of fiber optic cable, 51 miles of various size electrical cable, 22 traffic signal cabinets and controllers, 3 school zone cabinets and controllers, 54 flashing yellow left turn arrow heads, 172 pedestrian signal displays and push button system with ADA audible messaging for the visually impaired, CCTV cameras, infra-red vehicle detection system, bicycle detection system, emergency pre-emption system and 22 battery backup units.

Phase IV of the project is in design now, and there are plans for Phase V and, if needed, Phase VI. After completion of Phase III, 68 percent of the traffic signals in Edmond will operate under the new technology, while the remaining 32 percent will continue to run off older unsupported technology.

“As well as addressing needs for today, we are getting the basic infrastructure in place to be ready to utilize any upgrades technology may produce in the future,” Minnick said, “both in signal technology and vehicle technology, like possibly autonomous vehicles.

“The ITS also gives us data we can use to go back to and troubleshoot any consistent issues we may see at a particular intersection.”

The cost of the project so far is more than $23 million, $15 million of that covered by federal funding.

Learn more about the ITS project: https://www.edmondok.gov/926/Intelligent-Transportation-Systems.

###

Back to City Source

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in City Source Edmond - News Releases & Stories

Fretz Drive Closure set to begin Sept. 27

Posted on: September 23, 2022
The Gate House

Airbnb revenue supports tourism

Posted on: August 11, 2022