Underwater Explosive Recovery Specialist
This highly technical, physically demanding course is designed to provide bomb technicians, who are also SCUBA divers, the skills to safely locate, recover or render safe explosives or hazardous devices that have been placed or hidden underwater. This course is offered in Edmond, Oklahoma and is sponsored by the Edmond Oklahoma Police Department and ATF.
Some of the topics covered include:
Length of Training:
- Underwater search and recovery techniques
- Underwater crime scene management
- Use of underwater remote lift bags
- Operation of underwater remote control vehicle
- Use of full face diving masks
- Use of disrupter underwater
5 class days
Prerequisites for Attendance:
- Bomb Technicians who are:
- Employed full time by a local, state or federal law enforcement agency, fire department or are active duty military.
- Graduate of Hazardous Devices School in Huntsville, Alabama; foreign country equivalent of HDS or military EOD trained.
- Must be a current member of their department's explosive disposal unit.
- Certified SCUBA diver from a nationally recognized organization.
- Certified Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI) Advanced Open Water Diver (or equivalent).
- You must have your department's permission to attend the course and be on department time to be covered by your agency's workman’s compensation medical coverage.
The Edmond Police department’s Rockie Yardley developed the Underwater Explosive Recovery Specialist (UERS) course to teach and share his expert knowledge with other law enforcement agents. Since 1996, 105 individuals from 65 different local, county and state agencies have been trained. Students have come from the ATF, FBI, US Navy, the District of Columbia and Bermuda.
For more information regarding this course, contact Rockie Yardley by email
or by calling (405) 359-4433.