Future Construction Projects
2nd and Boulevard
This project consists of adding dual left turn lanes, two through lanes, and a right turn lane for Southbound direction and one left turn lane, two through lanes, and one right turn lane for Northbound and westbound direction. No widening will occur on 2nd Street due to limited right-of-way. New signal lights will be installed and connected back to the Traffic Management Center. Current construction estimate is $2,027,300 and will be funded with 100% City funds from the 2017 Capital Improvement Sales Tax Fund. Construction date is currently unknown.
January 2022 update: The construction design plans are currently 54% complete. Construction is anticipated in 2023/2024.
Danforth and Kelly
This project will widen the intersection to a four-lane divided road with dual left turn lanes and separate right turn lanes. A new signal light will be installed and connected to the Traffic Management Center. The project extents will be approximately 1400 feet east, west and south and 500 feet to the north.
The estimated cost is $6,190,143. The City will fully fund this project from the 2000 Capital Improvement Sales Tax Fund.
January 2022 update: The traffic signal design plans are under review. Utility relocation meetings will take place with the various utility companies to determine whether utilities will need to be relocated. The actual utility relocation work will not begin until after the City installs a waterline on Danforth which is scheduled for early 2022.
Danforth and Sooner
This project consists of widening Danforth and Sooner intersection to include left turn lanes, two through lanes, and where possible right turn lanes. The intersection will be signalized. Retaining walls will be necessary on Danforth west of Sooner due to the existing grades. Estimated construction cost is $14,311,751.78. The scope of the project has expanded to include widening in front of the Francis Tuttle building with left and right turn lanes and a signal light at School Street which is the main entrance to the Francis Tuttle facility. City staff has met with the Oklahoma Department of Transportation several times to discuss how their plans to build on/off ramps to I-35 as well as their plans to re-align the Danforth bridge over I-35 will interface with the City project at Sooner. The City will apply for Federal funds in September 2022.
January 2022 update: The construction design plans are currently 65% complete.
2nd Street/Edmond Road ADA Improvements
This project consists of reconstructing portions of sidewalks and wheelchair ramps that do not currently meet compliance with the American with Disabilities Act (ADA). Current construction cost is estimated at $3,807,000. The City was approved for $2,142,400 in federal funds with the remaining funding coming from the 2000 Capital Improvement Sales Tax. Construction date is currently unknown.
City Council approved a design contract with Kimley-Horn on March 8, 2021. Consultant was given a notice to proceed with the design and construction plans on March 9, 2021. Consultant has met with City staff to discuss issues related to existing right-of-way and the need to acquire additional easements.
January 2022 update: The city mailed out 1037 letters to property owners along this 5-mile stretch of road from Santa Fe to I-35. The letter explained the project and the potential need for easements and that they may see some surveyors in front of their property. Since this is a federal project, the Oklahoma Department of Transportation needs the mailing list so that they can begin the environmental study portion of the project. The design is 60% complete. This project is anticipated to bid in July 2023.
Covell Widening from east of Bryant to east of Coltrane
This project will widen Covell to provide for a four-lane divided roadway where possible. There will be left turn lanes at all side streets where possible. Covell may also include street lighting, 10-foot-wide multi-use paths/sidewalks, landscaping, and signalize the intersection of Covell and Coltrane with left and right turn lanes. This project will also include building 3 bridge structures. The estimated construction cost is $23,124,552. The City will look at the option of constructing temporary improvements as an interim measure to include adding left turn lanes and a signal light. The anticipated start date for the interim improvements is 2022/2023.
January 2022 Update: The Construction design plans are currently 50% complete.
Phase 4, Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) on 33rd Street, Boulevard, and Bryant This project consists of installing 11 miles of fiber optic cable and replacing the traffic signal cabinets and controllers and associated signal equipment at 22 intersections on 33rd Street from Broadway to Coltrane and on Boulevard from 33rd to 2nd St and on Bryant from 33rd to 2nd St in order to bring them into compliance with the National Transportation Communication for Intelligent Transportation System Protocol (NTCIP) standards. These intersections will connect to the Traffic Management Center via fiber optics and wireless communication network.
The estimated construction cost is currently unknown. The City will apply for 80% Federal funds with the remaining 20% from the 2000 Capital Improvement Sales Tax Fund. After completion of the phase 4 project, 85% of the traffic signals in Edmond will be following the latest standards while the remaining 15% are running off older technology.
January 2022 Update: On August 9, 2021, the Edmond City Council approved a contract amendment with Kimley-Horn in the amount of $370,500 for plans and specifications to construct Phase 4 ITS. The consultant submitted 50% plans on November 30, 2021. Those plans are currently under review.
Danforth Widening, Thomas to Fretz
This project will widen Danforth to a five-lane roadway with a left turn lane into Edmond North High School. The project includes an eastbound left turn lane at Thomas and modification of a signal light.
The City will apply for 80% federal funding with the remaining 20% City funds from the 2000 Capital Improvement Sales Tax Fund. Estimated construction cost is $3,385,951. The start date is currently unknown.
15th and Kelly
This project will widen and reconstruct the intersection and provide dual left turn lanes and separate right turn lanes. The widening on Kelly will include a raised median and extend 2,300 feet to the north and 500 feet to the south of 15th with a northbound left turn lane onto Val Genes Rd, a southbound left turn onto driveway to the Tennis Facility and a southbound left turn lane onto Signal Ridge. 15th Street will extend 550 feet to the west and 1,400 feet to the east. The existing eastbound left turn lane at State St. will be lengthened to provide more capacity for vehicles entering the Tennis Facility. The intersection of 15th and Kelly will include a full depth reconstruction with concrete pavement. Drainage structures will be upgraded and a new traffic signal will be installed.
The estimated construction cost is currently unknown. The City will apply for 80% federal funding with the remaining 20% from the 2017 Capital Improvement Sales Tax. Construction date is currently unknown.
Covell Widening from Broadway to east of BryantThis project will widen Covell to provide for a four-lane divided roadway where possible. There will be left turn lanes at all side streets where possible. Covell may also include street lighting, 10-foot-wide multi-use paths/sidewalks, and landscaping.
The project is currently under design however, no construction funding is identified at this time. The estimated construction cost is $15,644,972. The start date is currently unknown.
Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT)
The following projects are listed in the Oklahoma Department of Transportation 8-year construction plan.
These projects are in or near the City of Edmond and are shown for informational purposes only.