- City Services
- Services A-J
- Traffic Projects
- Current Construction Projects
Current Road Construction Projects
2nd and BryantThis project consist of adding dual left turn lanes and a single right turn lane for all four directions. New signal lights will be installed and connected back to the Traffic Management Center. New water lines and sanitary sewer lines will also be included with this project.
The City awarded this project to Crossland Heavy Contractors in the amount of $7,478,800.
July 2022 Update: Contractor is placing drainage structures on west side of Bryant south of 2nd Street. Asphalt sub-base was installed for southbound on Bryant north of 2nd Street and westbound on 2nd street west of Bryant. Final concrete surface will be installed for southbound direction on Bryant north of 2nd Street the week of July 18, 2022. Project is 75% complete based on invoices received up to the end of June 2022. Contractor expects to be complete by the end of September 2022.
Phase 3, Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) on 15th Street and on Kelly AveThis project consists of installing 10.5 miles of fiber optic cable and replacing the traffic signal cabinets and controllers and associated signal equipment at 22 intersections on 15th Street from Santa Fe to I-35 and on Kelly from south City limits to Robin Hill in order to bring them into compliance with the National Transportation Communication for Intelligent Transportation System Protocol (NTCIP) standards. These intersections will connect to the Traffic Management Center via fiber optics and wireless communication network.
The Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT) opened bids on October 14, 2021. The low bid was $10,626,458.80. The City will receive $7,434,277 in Federal funds with the remaining funds coming from the 2000 Capital Improvement Sales Tax Fund.
After completion of the phase 3 project, 64% of the traffic signals in Edmond will be following the latest standards while the remaining 36% continue to run off older technology.
July 2022 Update: Project began in May 2022 and is anticipated to be complete by August 2023. Contractor is currently installing the conduit on the north side of 15th Street beginning at I-35 and working west, towards Santa Fe. There is a total of 54,831 feet (10.4 miles) of various size conduits to be installed on this project.
Covell and I-35 Ramp SignalsThis project consists of widening the northbound off ramp and the southbound on ramp to increase lane capacity. Traffic signal lights will be installed at the northbound and southbound on/off ramp intersections on Covell. These signals will be designed with the latest Intelligent Transportation System technology and will be connected to the Traffic Management Center.
The city awarded this project to All Roads Paving in the amount of $1,735,628.98. Construction began on September 29, 2021. The City is providing 100% of the construction costs from the 2017 Capital Improvement Sales Tax Fund. The contract length is 90 days with cooperative weather.
July 2022 Update: Signal lights are installed and operational. Project substantially complete. Contractor has completed 60% of the "punch list" items.
Covell and Cheyenne Middle School/Uptown MarketThis project will construct a traffic signal light at the intersection to provide for safer movements onto Covell Road. The city opened bids on October 14, 2021. The low bid was from Midstate Traffic Control in the amount of $811,047.
This project will be funded using 100% city funds from the Capital Improvement Sales Tax Fund.
July 2022 Update: Contractor began project in July 2022 and has completed the ADA wheelchair ramp modification and is working on the signal footings.
Recently Completed Projects
Phase II, Intelligent Transportation System on portions of Broadway, Danforth, Covell, and Santa Fe
This project consists of installing fiber optic cable and replacing the traffic signal cabinets and controllers and associated signal equipment at 22 intersections on portions of Broadway, Danforth, Covell, and Santa Fe in order to bring them into compliance with the National Transportation Communication for Intelligent Transportation System Protocol (NTCIP) standards. These intersections will connect to the existing Traffic Management Center (TMC) via fiber optics and wireless communication network.
This project was awarded by the Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT) to Traffic Signal Inc in the amount of $6,751,535.68. The contract is 375 calendar days and work will begin by February 4, 2019. ODOT has given the contractor an additional 40 days due to permit delays by the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad. The City received 80% federal funds with the remaining 20% City funds. After completion of the phase 2 project, 42% of the traffic signals in Edmond will be following the latest standards while the remaining 58% are running off older technology.
July 2022 update: The project is substantially complete except for the “punch list” items. The contractor has not made any further progress in correcting these issues. City Field Services Department and Engineering Department are currently addressing these issues.
Covell Widening, Fairfax to Covell Lane
This project consists of widening Covell to a four-lane divided roadway. There will be left turn lanes on all side streets. Covell and Griffin Boulevard will be signalized. The project will include street lighting and 10-foot-wide multi-use paths/sidewalks. This 260-calendar contract was awarded on February 24, 2020, to Crossland Heavy Contractors in the amount of $9,636,281.
July 2022 update: Project complete.
Edmond Quiet Zone
The creation of quiet zones along railroad corridors is a relatively new development. In 2006, the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) issued 49 CFR 222 and 229, Use of Locomotive Horns at High-Way Grade Crossings. The purpose of the rule is to mandate a federal requirement for the sounding of locomotive horns at all public highway-rail grade crossings. The rule also created a methodology by which communities could create quiet zones. In accordance with the rule, locomotive horn sounding is not required if each crossing is equipped with Supplemental Safety Measures (SSM). SSM’s are safety measures that have been determined by the Federal Rail Administration to adequately compensate for the lack of a locomotive horn.
Edmond has eleven grade crossings that will be equipped with SSM’s. On March 6, 2019, the Edmond City Council approved contracts with the Burlington Northern Railroad for Quiet Zone improvements in the amount of $2,649,385.
The City council also approved a contract with CTC in the amount of $216,257 for the preparation of construction plans for the quiet zone improvements on the City streets that approach the railroad tracks.
There are two components to the Quiet Zone project:
- The first component is the infrastructure work to be done by BNSF forces on their railroad tracks. The railroad signals are being designed by BNSF. Their ordering process is currently underway and they expect materials to arrive in late 2019.
- The second component is the work to be designed and constructed by the City on the 11 streets that cross the tracks. The city awarded this project to Rudy Construction in the amount of $1,179,832.80
July 2022 update: Project complete.
Downtown ITS/ADA/Street Lighting
This project consists of installing fiber optics and replacing the traffic signal cabinets, controllers, and associated signal equipment at 6 intersections on Broadway from First Street to Ayers to bring them into compliance with the National Transportation Communication for Intelligent Transportation System Protocol (NTCIP) standards. These intersections will connect to the Traffic Management Center via fiber optics and wireless communication network. The intersection wheelchair ramps will be brought into compliance with the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) Standards. The existing street lighting will be replaced with new decorative street lighting. This project will be funded with 100% City funds. The estimated construction cost is $3,870,000. The only bid received was twice as much as projected.
July 2022 update: This project is currently on hold pending discussions and determinations of other downtown projects.