About the Program
The Energy Saving Trees program started in 2016 and is a partnership between Edmond Electric, Urban Forestry and Arbor Day Foundation to provide Edmond residents with a free energy-saving tree. To date, Edmond Electric has provided 1,746 trees to residents.
We believe trees are essential to quality of life. Besides beautifying our homes and communities, they are natural air conditioners and energy savers. If placed strategically, trees can provide shade that can reduce summer air conditioning costs from 15 to 35 percent. Energy savings can also be gained by planting trees as a windbreak against cold winter winds.
Additionally, trees do the following:
- Improve air quality and reduce pollution.
- Reduce noise pollution by providing a barrier to urban noise.
- Increase economic stability in the community. According to the National Arbor Day Foundation, people linger and shop longer along tree-lined streets. The USDA Forest Service shows that healthy, mature trees add an average of 10 percent to a property’s value.
- Improve personal health by creating feelings of relaxation and well-being.
- Improve water quality by preventing runoff and erosion.
- Provide suitable habitat and safe haven to birds and other wildlife.
- Add beauty and improve the quality of life for all of us now and in years to come.
Edmond Electric recognizes these benefits and is proud to promote continued natural growth in our community.
To learn more about how this program has benefited Edmond, check out the impact report.
How the Program Works
The Energy Saving Trees Program occurs twice a year—once in the spring and once in the fall. The dates will vary but will be within those two seasons.
When a date is secured, a press release will go out announcing the next program event about 2 weeks prior to the event. The portal to reserve your tree will open the Monday before the event, which will occur on a Thursday and Friday of the week. Trees go fast, so we recommend setting an alarm for midnight on the Monday the portal opens up! You do have to have an address that is within Edmond municipal boundaries.
To find out if you are within municipal boundaries, enter your address into our
To reserve your tree, which will open the Monday prior to the event, visit the
Arbor Day Portal
Next Energy-Saving Trees Distribution event will occur Fall 2022. Exact date TBD.