Oversized/Overweight Structure Move Permit
(Formerly House Moving Permit)
In accordance with Chapter 16.30 of the Edmond Municipal Code, the City of Edmond requires move permits for Oversized and/or Overweight structures. Permits can be obtained through the City Clerk’s office.
We request the applicant apply for the permit a minimum of 15 business days prior to the desired move to allow for the review process, possible rejections, and determination of alternate routes.
Oversized and/or Overweight structures are defined as:
- Any structure, when loaded, is greater than 13.5 feet high or 8.5 feet wide or 53 feet in length
- Load that exceeds 80,000 pounds
- Any structure that exceeds the Axle Loading Permitted by the State of Oklahoma
- Any structure for which state law otherwise requires a permit prior to moving pursuant to 47 O.S. 14-101 et seq
Ordinance 3862 in reference to Chapter 16.30 of the Edmond Municipal Code defines the responsibilities of the mover and is therefore essential to review.
|Step 1 - Application Process|
Applicants, i.e., moving companies, will be required to provide the following documentation:
- A Completed Oversized/Overweight Structure Move Permit Application form
- Copy of Surety Bond of $50,000
- Copy of Certificate of Insurance of $100,000
- $150.00 Application Fee (non-refundable)
Applications submitted without the above-listed items will delay the application and review process.
For your consideration:
|Step 2 - Submission Process|
Submit the completed application and additional documentation to the City Clerk’s Office in person or through email.
Please note, the non-refundable $150.00 Application Fee must be paid upfront to the “City of Edmond” to begin the review process.
Acceptable forms of payment are listed below:
- Phone: Credit/Debit Card: American Express, Mastercard, Visa, Discover
- In-person: Credit/Debit Card: American Express, Mastercard, Visa, Discover, Check, Cash, (exact amount only – cannot make change).
- City Clerk’s Office
24 E. First St.
Edmond, OK 73034
|Step 3 - Reviews|
Once the completed application and payment are received in the City Clerk’s Office it will be sent for review to the following departments:
- City Attorney’s Office
- Traffic Engineering
- Edmond Electric
- Public Works
- External Companies: OG&E and Telecommunications/Cable Companies
If any of these departments reject the initial route submitted, you will be asked to complete the Alternate Route Form.
Please note, the mover is liable for any expense, damages or costs to City property or private property. (Reference Chapters 16.30.051 and 16.30.052 of the Edmond Municipal Code).
|Step 4 - Receiving the Permit|
Once the review process has been met, the City Clerk’s Office will notify the applicant and provide the permit, with reviewed Route, by email or as requested by the applicant.
- When did this permitting process begin?
The Oversized/Overweight Structure Move Permit process began October 27, 2021.
- When should I submit my application?
You should submit your application along with supporting documentation a minimum of 15 business days prior to the date requested for the move.
- How long does the application/review process take?
We are unable to provide a timeline, due to possible route rejections and submissions of alternate routes.
- Can I submit my route information without a map?
It is possible to submit your route with specific directions, but it is highly recommended to provide a map with your application to avoid any miscommunication.
- Are there any times not allowed to move structures through the City of Edmond?
Moves are not allowed from 7am-9am and 4pm-7pm on weekdays.
- If my route requires City assistance, will I be charged?
Any move requiring City assistance will incur additional charges; weekend moves will be billed overtime rates.
- Who is liable for any damage that might occur?
The mover is liable for any expense, damages or costs to City property or private property.
(Reference Chapters 16.30.051 and 16.30.052 of the Edmond Municipal Code)
- What happens if I don’t have a permit for my move?
Any person violating any of the provisions of Ordinance 3862 in reference to Chapter 16.30 of the Edmond Municipal Code, shall be subject to a Class B offense.