ADA Title II Grievance Procedure
The City of Edmond
The City of Edmond has adopted this grievance procedure for prompt and equitable resolution of complaints alleging any action prohibited by the U.S. Department of Justice regulations implementing Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Title II states, in part, “no otherwise qualified disabled individual shall, solely by reason of such disability, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination” in programs or activities sponsored by a public entity. It may be used by anyone who wishes to file a complaint alleging discrimination on the basis of disability in the provision of services, activities, programs, or benefits by the City of Edmond, OK. The City’s Personnel Policy governs employment-related complaints on disability discrimination.
Complaints should be addressed to: Phil Jones, Sustainability Planner/ADA Coordinator, Planning Department, 10 S Littler Ave, Edmond OK 73034
- ADA Title II Grievance Form (PDF)
- ADA Title II Online Grievance Form
- The complaint should be in writing and contain information about the alleged discrimination such as name, address, phone number of complainant, and the location date, and description of the problem. Alternative means of filing complaints, such as personal interviews or a tape recording of the complaint, will be made available for persons with disabilities upon request.
- A complaint shall be filed as soon as possible, but not later than 60 calendar days after the grievant becomes aware of the alleged violation.
- Within 15 calendar days after the receipt of the complaint, The City ADA Coordinator or his designee will meet with the complainant to discuss the complaint and possible resolutions. Within 15 calendar days of the meeting, the City ADA Coordinator or his designee will respond in writing, and where appropriate, in a format accessible to the complainant, such as large print, braille, or audio tape. The response will explain the position of the City of Edmond, OK and offer options for substantive resolution of the complaint.
- An investigation, as may be appropriate shall follow the filing of a complaint. The investigation shall be conducted by or at the direction of the ADA Coordinator. These rules contemplate informal but thorough investigations, affording all interested persons and their representatives, if any, an opportunity to submit evidence relevant to a complaint. If additional time to the 15 calendar days is needed to complete the investigation, then the complainant will be notified about the time needed to extend the City’s response.
- If the response by the City ADA Coordinator or his designee does not satisfactorily resolve the issue, the complainant and/or his/her designee may appeal the decision within 15 calendar days after the receipt of the response to the City Manager or his/her designee. A written request for reconsideration should be sent to Scot Rigby, City Manager, 24 E First St, Edmond OK 73034. Alternative means of filing for reconsideration, such as personal interviews or a tape recording of the reasons for reconsideration will be made available for persons with a disability, upon request.
- Within 15 calendar days after the receipt of the appeal, the City Manager or his/her designee will meet with the complainant to discuss the complaint and possible resolutions. Within 15 calendar days after the meeting, the City Manager or his/her designee will respond in writing, and in a format accessible to the complainant, respond appropriately with a final resolution of the complaint.